Does OGFA provide any awards?

No. OGFA does not give out any awards. We assist current FSU graduate students in locating and applying for external awards.

How do I set up a preliminary/introductory meeting?

You can request a meeting here.

What types of awards are available?

The funding opportunities are numerous. They include funding to travel and conduct research, funding to learn a language, funding to complete your dissertation, and funding that supports students based on their demographics and interests. Request a meeting today to begin your tailored funding search.

Can you help me with funding to attend or present at a conference?

As mentioned above, OGFA does not disperse any funding; we only work with students to assist in locating external funding. The first place you should look is the conference itself. Some conferences provide funding for presenters. You should also check out the conference funding available through FSU's Congress of Graduate Students. If you are a doctoral student at the dissertation stage, the Graduate School's Dissertation Research Grant may be another potential funding source, since it can be used for travel, provided it is directly relevant to your dissertation research.

When should I start pursuing external fellowships and awards?

It's never too early to start pursuing external funding. There is funding available for graduate students at every stage of graduate education. Also, check out our suggested timeline for preparing your application.

Where are you located?

Our office is located in the Graduate School Suite (4001E) on the 4th floor of the Honors, Scholars, and Fellows House (HSF) at 127 Honors Way. This building is also known colloquially as the "Chick-fil-A building." It is located to the southeast of Strozier Library, between Cawthon Hall and the William Johnston Building on Landis Green.

I’m not located in Tallahassee. Can I meet via phone or Skype?

Yes. We often meet with students via phone and Skype, and we often provide electronic feedback to students. Simply request a meeting and be sure to note that you'd like to meet this way.

How do I register for a workshop?

You can find all of our current workshops here. Each one has a link to register.

What databases can I use to search for funding opportunities?

FSU's Office of Research pays for Pivot access for all FSU faculty, staff, and students. We also suggest that your check out the Graduate School's funding and awards as the Congress of Graduate Students for conference funding.

In addition to Pivot, you may find the following databases helpful:

I am not a U.S. citizen, can your office still assist me?

Yes. We work with all current FSU graduate students. You may also want to check out this list of Non-US Citizen Funding Opportunities.

I am considering/have been accepted to FSU, but haven’t started yet. Can your office assist me?

Due to the limited resources of our office, we can only assist current FSU graduate students. Once you start your graduate career at FSU, request a meeting so that we can begin discussing funding opportunities with you.

How far in advance of a deadline do I need to start working with OGFA?

While it is never too early to begin working with our office in your funding search, there are times when it can be too late. As our suggested application timeline outlines, we suggest beginning an application at least 2-3 months before the deadline.

title-inside title-centered